The core mission of the Mitchell Institute is to increase the likelihood that young people from every community in Maine will aspire to, pursue, and achieve a college education. The Institute strengthens Maine communities by providing a path to success in college and beyond for Maine students. Every year, the Institute awards a scholarship to a graduating senior from each of the public high schools in Maine. In addition to the scholarship, Mitchell Scholars are invited to participate in a wide array of personal, academic, and career support programming.
The External Relations and Operations Coordinator/Associate (title will be commensurate with experience) executes logistical support for the President and CEO, Board, and external-facing areas of the organization. This position partners with the President to drive highly effective management with the Board, Advisory Board, staff, and external stakeholders. Responsibilities include calendar oversight, preparing briefs and reports, correspondence support, external-facing program logistics, and developing and maintaining positive connections with supporters, alumni, and donors. The home headquarters for this position is located in Portland, Maine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides professional-level project and administrative support to President and CEO.
• Prioritizes calendar access for the CEO and manages information flow to ensure that appropriate time is allocated for strategic initiatives, deliverables, and constituencies.
• Coordinates logistics of Board and Senator’s Circle meetings and activities.
• Coordinates internal and external meetings and develops agendas; responds to requests from community leaders, donors, staff, and board members.
• Drafts routine and non-routine correspondence: reviews and edits, memos, emails, presentations, and reports.
• Partners with the President to manage priorities, provide follow-up support to meetings, recommend solutions, and develop action plans.
• Gathers relevant information to ensure the President is fully prepared for all short- and long-term meetings.
• Assists Development Director with donor mailings, stewardship, gift processing, and preparation of bank deposits. Produces reports from data systems related to donors.
• Assists with the planning and coordination of donor cultivation and fundraising events.
• Provides logistics and production support for branding and communications projects.
• Works closely with the Communications Director to grow the reach of multi-modal communications channels.
• Works with external vendors to ensure IT and Technology are upgraded and maintained to meet the demands of hybrid work, governance, and programs.
• Manages incoming phone calls and mail, and provides light office management duties.
• Participates in the annual scholarship selection process.
• Assists staff with programs/events that occasionally require evening/weekend hours.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills, and Experience:
• Experience working for an ambitious team that is focused on execution and outcomes.
• Post-secondary level education: Bachelor’s Degree.
• Ability to use good judgment, instincts, diplomacy, and discretion when working with staff and the public.
• High proficiency in PowerPoint, Microsoft Suite, and Google Suite.
• Strong professional communication skills via both written and verbal deliveries.
• Ability to manage different tasks simultaneously and prioritize projects effectively.
• Flexibility, self-sufficiency, and ability to anticipate priorities.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated growth in using tech-savvy office equipment and software.
• Must support the organization’s policies and procedures, including a high degree of confidentiality.
• Must have an interest in and passion for serving a mission that furthers young adults and their pursuit of higher education.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Lisa Sirois at firstname.lastname@example.org. The review of applications will begin October 12, 2022, and continue until the position is filled.